SUMMARY – Constructed 1918
Historic Use: Residence
Present Use: Residence
National Register Status: Not Listed
The 1918 Monty House is significant for its association with Tempe’s 1909 Gage Addition. It is also significant as a local variant of Southwest-style residential architecture.
The Gage Addition, just west of the ASU campus, forms the northernmost part of Tempe’s Maple-Ash neighborhood. Platted in 1909, the Gage Addition contains homes built primarily during the first half of the twentieth century, and could qualify as an historic district.
Euphemia Monty acquired undeveloped Lot 1, Block 21 of the Gage Addition in June 1914; this lot was adjacent to the unsubdivided property where Monty lived at 809 South Maple Avenue. In July 1918 Monty purchased a new “Phoenicia” house in Phoenix with the intention of assembling it on Lot 1; in December 1918 she mortgaged the lot and assembled the house at 821 S Maple Avenue, which she occupied until her death in 1922. A native of Canada, Monty immigrated to the United States in 1908 at the age of 43; she worked as a dressmaker. In 1922, before her death, Monty she sold the property to her niece, Jeanette Dupuis, who taught at Tempe Union High School. Dupuis rented out the house through the 1930s before selling to William and Lillian Colcord in October 1939. The Colcord couple in turn sold the property to Hazel Boyd in May 1940. Boyd remained at the address through the early 1960s.
The Monty House is a one-story, masonry, Southwestern-style house. Rectangular in plan, the house sits on a crawlspace foundation with stuccoed walls topped by a flat roof. A corner front porch supported by an arched, stuccoed pillar shades the house’s single-leaf entryway and features a sloped roof covered in Spanish tile. Windows are replacement sliders.