SUMMARY – Constructed 1929
Historic Use: Residence
Present Use: Residence
National Register Status: Not Listed
SIGNIFICANCE - The 1929 Scudder House is significant for its association with Tempe’s 1924 Park Tract addition. It is also significant as a local variant of Bungalow-style residential architecture, and for its association with Benjamin Scudder, a local educator who built several rental houses in the Maple-Ash area.
A. EVENT/HISTORY - The Gage Addition, just west of the ASU campus, forms the northernmost part of Tempe’s Maple-Ash neighborhood. Platted in 1909, the Gage Addition contains homes built primarily during the first half of the twentieth century, and could qualify as an historic district.
B. PERSON - Benjamin and Rebecca Scudder purchased undeveloped lots 6 and 7, Block 29 of the Gage Addition in July 1929 and built a rental house on the property soon thereafter. Their first tenant was Colonel Joseph Pomeroy, who occupied the house with his wife, Nita, and their four children. Pomeroy served as Adjutant General of the Arizona National Guard from April 1929 to March 1931.
C. DESIGN/CONSTRUCTION - The Scudder House is a one-story, adobe, Bungalow-style house. Square in plan, the house sits on a crawlspace foundation with stuccoed walls topped by a medium-pitched, front-gabled roof with gable vents. A front porch supported by two square stuccoed pillars and topped by a medium-pitched front-gabled roof shades the house’s single-leaf entryway. Windows are replacements.