Location: 118 E. 7th Street
Survey Number: HPS-105
Year Built: 1903
Architectural Style: Neo-Colonial Influence
The 1903 Harry Walker House is significant as a rare remaining example of the West Tempe residential neighborhood; as an example of a modest home built for a working class family; and as an excellent local example of the Georgian Revival mode of the Neo-Colonial style.
A: HISTORIC EVENTS
West Tempe was an 18 block area of mixed land use laid out in relation to North Tempe (Hayden’s property) and East (San Pablo) Tempe by Townsite Commissioners Winchester Miller, Chas. T. Hayden and David J. Wilson, in 1886. More than 14 years after map the original map was prepared, it was officially recorded to aid in promotion and development of the townsite. The Harry Walker House is one of the few remaining homes from what was one of Tempe’s earliest residential neighborhoods, West Tempe.
Harry Walker was groundskeeper for the Tempe Normal School during the first decade of the twentieth century before becoming an engineer for the Santa Fe Railroad in Northern Arizona. The house was used primarily as a rental throughout the historic period and in 1954, Thomas S. Montgomery, local architect, opened his offices in the building. It has functioned as commercial property since that time and its original architectural integrity has remained intact and enhanced through continued use and maintenance.
Constructed in 1903, the Harry Walker House is significant as a rare surviving example of an early Tempe house type and for its contribution to the interpretation of the architectural evolution of Tempe. Its construction dates from the period between the recession of the late Victorian design influences and the overwhelming popularity of the Bungalow style. This residential design era often included influences from the Georgian Revival mode of the Neo-Colonial style. The Harry Walker House is an excellent local example of this house type built for a modest working class family.A: HISTORIC EVENTS
The house is significant as the oldest Queen Anne Style brick residence in the Salt River Valley. When Rev. Edward Decker inherited the house in 1927, he made modifications.
National Register Nomination, 1984