SUMMARY – Constructed 1910
Historic Use: Residence
Present Use: Residence
National Register Status: Not Listed
The 1910 Chavez House is significant for its association with Tempe’s 1887 Farmer’s Addition. It is also significant as a local variant of Sonoran-style residential architecture.
Farmer’s Addition, located a quarter-mile west of the ASU campus, fronts South Farmer Avenue between University Avenue and West 13th Street. Platted in 1887, Farmer’s Addition was one of two late-nineteenth-century residential subdivisions in Tempe that corresponded with the development of Tempe Normal School.
Ramon and Nicolasa Chavez built the house at 927 South Farmer Avenue in 1910 and remained at the address until 1930. Ramon immigrated to the U.S. from Mexico in 1904 and married Nicolasa in 1910; he worked in the Tempe area as a ranch laborer. By 1940 Juan and Gertrudes Jimenez had acquired the property; Juan worked as a salesman at a local automobile dealership.
The 1910 Chavez House is a one-story adobe house. Irregular in plan, the house sits on a crawlspace foundation with stuccoed walls topped by a flat roof with parapet. A flat awning-type front porch supported by four stuccoed square pillars with concrete bases shades the house’s single-leaf entryway and concrete porch floor. Windows are wood, double-hung.