Get your city news emailed to you. Sign up now.
Infrastructure improvements and summer construction bring street restrictions
In taking care of existing infrastructure, adding amenities, ccordinating with our partners like Union Pacific Rail Road and welcoming new development, the city of Tempe works to minimize impacts to the public as much as possible. Much work is concentrated during the summer when school is out, business is seasonally slower and traffic is lighter, which means there’s a lot going on right now.
We know traffic restrictions and delays can be frustrating. We want to keep you informed about what’s coming up and which streets are restricted, so you can plan ahead and choose the best route. Here are some of the major projects going on now.
Railroad Crossing Improvements – Broadway Road
The City of Tempe, in partnership with the Union Pacific Railroad, the Arizona Department of Transportation and the Federal Railroad Administration, will be constructing safety upgrades at the Broadway Road railroad crossing just west of Mill Avenue. From July 17 to late August:
- Broadway Road will be reduced to one lane in each direction between Mill and Farmer avenues from 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. July 17 to late August in order for Union Pacific Railroad and City of Tempe to construct safety upgrades at the crossing.
- From July 31 to Aug. 4 Broadway Road will be closed in both directions west of Mill Avenue (between Dateland Drive and Farmer Avenue) in order for Union Pacific Railroad to completely remove and replace the tracks. Soft closures allowing for local business access and residential traffic will occur at Mill Avenue and at Hardy Drive. Vehicle traffic will be detoured onto University Drive and Southern Avenue, and Bus Route 45 will be detoured.
Repaving Projects – Hardy Drive and Baseline Road
Major sections of Hardy Drive and Baseline Road are being repaved this summer as part of Tempe’s ongoing pavement management plan. From July 17 to mid August:
- Hardy Drive between Southern Avenue and Guadalupe Road will be reduced to one lane in each direction, with a flagging operation to control and direct traffic.
- Baseline Road between 48th Street and I-10 will be reduced to one lane in each direction.
Tempe Streetcar – Mill Avenue
As part of utility relocation for Streetcar that began in downtown Tempe last month, the contractor will be modifying storm drains and manholes on Mill Avenue between Fifth and Sixth streets. While the work will be done from 3 a.m. to 1 p.m., restrictions will remain in place 24 hours a day due to the size and depth of the excavations. From July 17 to mid August:
- North and southbound traffic will be maintained on Mill Avenue, with left turns restricted at Fifth and Sixth streets.
- Sixth Street will be closed east of Mill Avenue with limited access only for deliveries to businesses.
Waterline Replacement – Rural Road and Southern Avenue
Work that began in May to replace waterlines in the Brentwood Manor and Tempe Royal Palms neighborhoods continues through early August, impacting traffic on Southern Avenue and Rural Road:
- Rural Road between Alameda Drive and Southern Avenue is restricted to two lanes in each direction and at times one lane in each direction daily from 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
- Southern Avenue between Rural Road and College Avenue is restricted to two lanes in each direction and at times one lane in each direction daily from 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
To get the most up-to-date street restriction information, visit www.tempe.gov/streetclosures or contact the City of Tempe at 480-350-4311. You can also sign up to receive email notices at www.tempe.gov/lists.